Tuesdays are turning out to be quite unpredictable here lately. That's not a bad thing at all, I'm just noticing a pattern. Two weeks ago I had the opportunity to go to Bass Hall with Deneise. You can read all about that experience, here. Last Tuesday I got to experience my first sick day, which was made the best-sick-day-ever because Kristy brought me lunch, which was so very nice of her. Then, tonight (Tuesday) I was given the opportunity to be a substitute bowler in my church's "Just for Fun" Bowling League.
It all started when I was walking out of school on my way to watch some former students play football. I noticed that I had a missed call from Deneise so I called her back:
Me: Hey Deneise! What's up?
Deneise: Hey Emily, I was wondering how you felt about bowling?
Me: Hmmm, I feel fine about bowling, I guess.
Deneise: Well, do you want to bowl tonight with me, we need a sub?
Me: Uh yeah, I could do that. That sounds like fun. I don't have to be good do I?
Deneise: No, no, you don't have to be good. It's all just for fun.
Me: Ok, well, I'm on my way to watch some football and then I'll just need to run home and change clothes (sound familiar?)
Deneise: You don't need to change clothes, you'll be fine
This time I did insist on changing clothes. I am at least a little bit ok with being underdressed for the theater, but way not ok with being overdressed for a bowling alley. :)
Here's a quick recap of the bowling greatness:
Game #1, unfortunately, was my best game and I beat Deneise.
Game #2, something was wrong with the pins or something, they just wouldn't move in front of my ball. Deneise did quite well and beat me. Best two out of three, right?
Game #3, I was having the same problem with the pins and really just couldn't get anything happening. Unless, of course, you look at it this way...Imagine the 9th Inning of the Seventh Game of the World Series. Your team is gonna lose but you want to end it on a high note by hitting a home run. This was the pressure I was putting on myself, I wanted to finish strong. So, here we are, 10th frame of the third game. I'm getting beat pretty badly but I want desperately to save face and maybe, at least get a spare. First bowl, I knock 8 pins down. Guess where the remaining pins were? That's right, they were at opposite ends of what looked like the Grand Canyon. With all the courage I could muster, I bowled that ball perfectly, and knocked both pins down. People were cheering wildly (ok, they were cheering but the wildly was probably in my head), Deneise looks up and says, "What happened?" I say, "you didn't see that?" Her response, "No, I wasn't watching because I knew you wouldn't get it!" This response made me laugh really hard and I told her that I was going to write it down so I would be able to blog about it. I didn't have anything to write on so I wrote it on the bottom of my Sonic Cup and Deneise tried for the rest of the night to get me to throw it away. :) So it can live on forever in Internet glory, here it is: 
So, I didn't come home the big bowling winner, but I did get to come home smelling extra special. I also came home with a thankfulness for all the new, amazing people that have come into my life in the last year. People that have made Tuesdays, and really every other day of the week, the best days ever. :)
Tuesday, October 30, 2007
Tuesdays may be my favorite
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
what you failed to mention...i missed your spectactular bowling b/c i was digging through my bowling bag & i discovered a pkg of 3 gap lipglosses...unopened!! yay...what a great discovery!! now, that i've had time to mull the conversation over in my head...that's not exactly the quote i remember. are you sure i didn't say, "wow, emily!! i want to be just like you when i grow up!!!!!" ok, showcase showdown soon!
Post a Comment