Friday, November 23, 2012

Humpty Dumpty had a great fall...

And in this little story, I'm Humpty Dumpty!!

After a summer filled with hospital stays, surgery, and doctor's appointments I was thrilled that school was finally starting back.  I was a little nervous to be teaching a brand new grade at a brand new school but so glad to be healthy and back in action.

One afternoon about a little over a week before school started, I was headed to lunch with my good friends Deneise and Payton.  We were walking down some stairs and I was answering a text at the same time.  That was dumb.  As I neared the second to last step before the landing I totally over-stepped and fell down the last two stairs.  I heard a pop.  And I felt pain.  Lots of pain.  Luckily, my phone was totally ok.  I was not!  I was a bit disoriented, quite a bit pale, and certain that I just broke not one but both of my ankles.  Deneise was pretty much in shock of what just happened but kept her cool and I was so incredibly thankful for her help over the next several hours.

The first problem, I still had about 10 stairs to go before I made it to the bottom floor.  The second problem, I could not walk and I could not hop.  I slid down the rest of the steps and rolled out to the car in a chair.  We went straight to CareNow where we learned a broken bone was apparently not an emergency.  We were given a 2 hour wait time so we went ahead and went to In-n-Out for lunch!  By that time, my left ankle was feeling much better and I was ready to amputate the right one!

After waiting some more (remember this is a new game for me) I finally got called back.  A quick x-ray confirmed that my right fibula was fractured just above the ankle joint.  I left CareNow with a walking boot and instructions to see a specialist.  My Mom's connections got me in the next morning with an Orthopedic Surgeon who we were hoping would look at the x-rays, put me in a cast, and then send me on my way.  But he tricked me.  After looking at my x-ray he came in and asked me how active I was.  I may have exaggerated my activity level because I told him I liked to run.  Haha.  He immediately suggested that if I wanted to continue to be a runner (haha) I should probably have surgery to repair the bone properly.

Noooooooooooooo.  I didn't have time for surgery.  It was time to be back at work, and I was at a new school, in a new grade, with a new principal!  I so did not want to be THAT teacher that is already asking for time off.  But I had to.  Did I mention that I broke my right ankle?  As in the foot you use to drive a car?  So, not only was I unable to drive a car, I was also unable to finish getting my classroom ready.  Luckily, my friend, Kristy and my sister came to my rescue.  They drove me places, they shopped for me, they definitely came through in a big way.

After a summer of medical drama I broke my ankle, and broke it bad enough I had to have surgery.  And I wish that was the end of the story!

No comments: