Thursday, July 31, 2008

I'm out of control

I went to the doctor today. I hate going to the doctor. I avoid it all costs. Among the things I talked to the doctor about was my inability to go to sleep. Once I am asleep, I have no trouble, it's the actually getting to sleep part that's tricky. The doctor told me that my circadian rhythm was out of control! In order to get control I was going to have to "train" my body to go to sleep. The biggest part of my training, no TV in bed and no reading in bed. If I want to do either of those things, I need to do them elsewhere. I thought that was kind of strange because I always thought reading was a good way to get to sleep.

Another suggestion I just read: wear sunglasses in the afternoons and evenings (in the house) so you're body will think it's later. How crazy is that? Can't you see me walking around the house with sunglasses on all the time?

And, because the internet is the best way to diagnose all conditions I think what I more specifically have is, Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome. This is an excellent definition:

The major feature of these disorders is a misalignment between the patient's sleep pattern and the sleep pattern that is desired or regarded as the societal norm.... In most circadian rhythm sleep disorders, the underlying problem is that the patient cannot sleep when sleep is desired, needed or expected.


So, for all of those looking for proof, I'm not really out of control, I'm just not living up to the societal norm.

4 comments:

Kristy said...

Not living up to the societal norm????

That's a good one!!

I'll have to remember that!!

Matt and Jenn said...

As a sleep tech working at a sleep disorder center, you're probably one of the more normal patients I'd see!

Good luck with the sunglasses in the evening. Maybe you could wear sunglasses while you sit on the couch reading or watching tv to unwind and get sleepy! You better keep them on once you go to bed incase you wake up in the middle of the night...

Shellee said...

too bad the societal norm insists we be at work before 8 am, otherwise, we could just go with our natural circadin rhythm...4 am to 12 pm!

how dare society to try and force your rhythm to conform!!

Haley said...

I miss you1