Saturday, July 5, 2008

Where did this week go?

I'm still having a little trouble with the speed at which this summer is flying by! And, it seems I can go days with nothing to blog about and then all of a sudden there are several things.

First of all, and most importantly, I want to wish my Dad a very Happy Birthday today! I'm sure he would be happy for me to report that he has officially made it to the big one, 50! We started the day with our little birthday tradition, the Waffle House! I don't really remember why or when it started, but he takes me on my birthday and I take him on his birthday. So, Happy Birthday Dad! Thanks so very much for all you do for me! Love you!

Secondly, I had a very enjoyable 4th of July with lots of fun, lots of fireworks, and lots of friends. I did notice yesterday that many people are confused about the significance of the 4th of July. I did a little research and found it all quite interesting.

Traditionally, the 4th of July celebrates the birth of the United States as an independent nation. I guess the confusion comes from how you define "birth."

On July 4, 1776 the Second Continental Congress of the American colonists adopted the Declaration of Independence. The actual declaring of independence happened two days prior on July 2, 1776, and it took several months before all the delegates actually signed the document. There's no telling how long it took for the King of England to get his hands on it!

What is even more interesting is that the fight for independence (American Revolution) actually began in April of 1775 with Paul Revere's famous ride to warn John Hancock and Samuel Adams that the British were coming, and then the Battles at Lexington and Concord. The war did not end until 8 years later when the Treaty of Paris was signed on September 3, 1783 and Great Britain finally recognized the United States as an independent nation. I guess the 3rd of September doesn't have quite the ring that the 4th of July has!!

I also find it interesting that in one of John Adams' famous letters to his wife Abigail, he predicted that July 2nd would forever be known as the "most memorable epoch in the history of America." So close, John, so close.

Don't you just love history??

No comments: