Just last week I was complaining about how quickly the new school year was approaching, but today I started to get excited about it. Don't get me wrong, I love not having any responsibilities, but it's time to get back to work. I spent some time with a former student today and I realized how much I miss being around the kids everyday.
I heard a rumor last week that this student was seriously missing me this summer. I also heard that she was going to be playing in a USFA Nationals Softball tournament this week in Mesquite. And, I also knew that yesterday was her birthday. So, I text (because I don't call people) her Mom to tell her that I wanted to surprise Kadyn at one of her games. Well, today was the day. I arrived just as the team was finishing warming up before their "official" on-the-field warm up. Kadyn had her back turned and I walked up right behind her and started tapping on her shoulder. I tapped for at least a minute before she finally turned around, but it was well worth it. She gasped, gave me a huge hug, and couldn't speak. It was pretty funny, I don't think I've ever experienced her speechless before!
During the game, her Mom told me a story that helped me put to rest some questions I've been wrestling with for the last month or so. A couple days ago they were out shopping and the lady at the cash register asked Kadyn if she was ready to go back to school. Kadyn very enthusiastically replied that she was very excited about returning to school. The lady was surprised to get such a positive response and asked her why she was so excited. Kadyn says, "My Mom told me that on the first day of school I can go see my fourth grade teacher."
Then it was my turn to be speechless! Another thing that I love about Kadyn is that she is a Baylor Bear fan through and through. Her parents are big time TCU fans and I totally saved her from the frog world! :) Over Spring Break we took a little trip to Waco to see Baylor and check out the softball team. Even though the game got rained out, Kadyn apparently had the best time. She came home that night and did this to her TCU Rocking Chair she has had in her room forever:
Today was a great day. And, I'm especially thankful for the reminder that I may just be exactly where I'm supposed to be.
Tuesday, July 29, 2008
Now I think I'm ready
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You are definitely where you're supposed to be!!
In my opinion, of course!!
Post a Comment