Sunday, February 22, 2009

Defining Moments

I'm definitely the kind of person that sees life as a journey. There is a beginning and an end, but it's all the stuff in between that really makes you who you are. Of course, not everyday is memorable or contains a life lesson that needs to be learned, but the ones that do, always stick out in my mind. It's usually when something happens (or doesn't happen) that is so obviously the result of God's sovereignty that I claim as a defining moment in my life. These moments are little places where I can look back and say, without a doubt, that God is real, God is good, and God knows every little detail about my life.

Last night I had opportunity to attend the Chris Tomlin concert in Grand Prairie. It was incredible! I've been a fan of Chris Tomlin for a really long time, especially when his CD Arriving came out. That CD accompanied me on many, many, many trips home from Waco just a few years ago. In fact, you may not know this, but, when I'm in the car alone I turn up the music super loud and sing my heart out. The super cool part about this is that Chris Tomlin and I sound SO good together! Ha ha, just kidding. I mean, we do sound good, but it's because the music is so loud I can't even hear myself!

Anyway, the point is, I'm a fan of his music. I downloaded his new album, Hello Love, in December but never really got into the new music. Then, when I found out I was going to be going to this concert I decided I should at least listen to the music some. Wow! It's a great CD and I can honestly say that I love all of the songs. I've been listening to it at pretty much every opportunity and still haven't tired of any of them. Fast forward to last night...it was awesome to see Tomlin live, and sing along with him live! It really wasn't a concert at all. It was an amazing time of worshipping an amazing God.

A couple songs into it I thought about the fact that my sitting in that room, with the people I was with, was another great example of God's perfect plan for my life. Is it what I would have imagined for myself 2, 3, or 5 years ago? No way! Is it better than what I imagined for myself 2, 3, or 5 years ago? Absolutely! It's taken a lot longer than I'd like to admit for me to really believe that God knows the plans he has for me, that they are plans to give me a hope and a future. But now I finally get it and last night I saw another great example of it. I'll happily add last night's concert to my very short list of concerts attended as well as my very important list of defining moments.

Now, I've just got to work on being ok with God knowing the plans and not telling me yet!! :)

No comments: