Today was the first day back at school after two weeks off. I got there early because I was pretty sure I left in a hurry and knew that I would probably find things not quite conducive to the first day back. I was pleasantly surprised when I walked in my classroom and my desk was clear, the counter was clear, and all the lunch tags were ready to go. If I have anything, it's a terrible memory. So, as I sat there with nothing to do for a few minutes my mind went into deep thinking mode and I began to think about what brought me here, to that classroom, in that school, as a teacher. It's been a crazy journey for sure, one that I am positive I have had very little to do with.
When I started college way back in the Fall of 2000 I was 100% certain that I was going to be a Finance major and in four years find myself working very closely with the stock market. The stock market has fascinated me ever since my Grandpa gave me two shares of Black and Decker stock when I was a kid. It seemed like doing something I enjoyed was the way to go. I took lots of business classes my first semester and liked them, I just felt like I had had an awakening to the idea that maybe I should pour my life into something a little more intrisically rewarding than making lots of money with other people's money. After much thought, I changed my major one semester in to Elementary Education.
The Spring of 2001 was great. The Fall of 2001, not so great. During this semester, I had my first "field experience" where we went into an actual elementary school and worked with a small group of students. My small group was made up of third graders. I don't know what the deal was but they ate my lunch. I dreaded going to work with those kids and soon felt like perhaps it was the still, small voice of God telling me I had made a mistake and teaching wasn't for me. After much more thought, I changed my major back to Finance. I had decided that while I felt strongly that I was to use my life to make a difference in the lives of children, it wasn't going to be in the classroom setting.
I managed, somehow, to make it out of college in four years with a BBA in Finance. I was really quite proud of myself. I even landed a good job before graduation. All the pieces were falling neatly into place. About six months after graduation I began to get restless. I learned a great deal about working hard, customer service, and most importantly-myself. I also knew that my desire to work with kids wasn't going away. Around March of 2005 I decided to pursue alternative certification and give teaching another try. In May, exactly one year from my first day, I resigned from my job and began applying to every school district I could think of. I had little hope of being hired at a good school because well, I didn't have a teaching degree, I didn't have any teaching experience, and sometimes the words "alternative certification" get you an automatic no. I got a total of 3 interviews. My first was at a charter school downtown that I think has something to do with juvenile criminals. My second, was at a school that I knew was way out of my league the second I drove up and saw the "Exemplary" banner hanging proudly. I loved the school and the people and left with gratitude for at least having some good interview experience. My third interview was at the middle school in the same district as the second school. It went well, but I already had my heart set on the second school.
A couple weeks went by and I got a call from the principal of the second school asking me to come back for a second interview. I couldn't believe it. To make a long story a little shorter, this school took a big chance on me and that is where I sat this morning, reflecting on all the ways God has directed me, blessed me, and taught me. It has been a wild ride, one that is better than anything I ever could have dreamed up for myself. I think that's how I know God's been all over it, and I wouldn't trade that for all the money in the world.
Monday, January 7, 2008
How Did I Get Here?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment