Friday, May 9, 2008

I like to think of it as giving 100%

So, about a week ago Wednesday, I discovered that after a lifetime of failure I may indeed be able to do this exercise called running. Two nights of successful (depending on definition) running convinced me that I needed a new pair of shoes, so I bought some. Now, I didn't just go out and find a pair of comfortable running shoes, I found a pair of comfortable running shoes that would broaden my knowledge of something else I enjoy, electronic gadgets (especially ones made by Apple)!

Today my "running system" is complete. I own a pair of Nike+ Running Shoes, a Nike+ Sport Kit, and an iPod Nano. Combined, these items make me look like the serious runner I am so NOT! But, it's ok to pretend.

You see, the little red thing goes in the bottom of my shoe and the little white thing attaches to my iPod. Then they talk to eachother.



While I'm running and listening to music a voice will come on and tell me how far I've run, how long I've run, and what my pace is. When I'm finished it will even tell me how many calories I have burned. Then, when I connect my iPod to my computer it automatically sends the information to the Nike+ website. Then, the website keeps track of all my runs and goals and stuff. It's pretty cool!

Here are a couple screen shots of my stats for tonight. I actually did 3 workouts tonight - the first one was to calibrate the sensor to my running so it would be accurate. This was a half mile that doesn't "count." Then I did 1.04 miles:


Followed by another .57 miles, for a grand total of 2.1 miles tonight. A couple days ago (before I had the sensor and Nano) I set up a goal for myself to run 25 miles in 4 weeks. Here is where I am right now, and apparently I am a bit behind where Nike thinks I should be at this point.


I guess I'm going to have to do a lot of catching up!

So, you can see I'm what a lot of people might consider obsessive compulsive when it comes to running and electronic gadgets, but I prefer to think of it as giving a 100% effort!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great innovation!! The Nike+ is a running shoe that has a sensor embedded in its sole that transmits information to Apple’s iPod Nano music player, such as how many calories you’ve burned.