The first week of the brand new school year is officially done. I really feel good about my classes and enjoyed getting to know a whole bunch more kids. It has been a week of mixed emotions for sure. I am excited to finally be back in the swing of things at school. I really do like my class, it is full of a bunch of fun kids. It's just that I miss last year's class so much!! I've mentioned before that it was a great year, but, really that is an understatement. It was something that I couldn't plan for or create, it just happened, and it was special (to me at least). I got an email tonight from one of those former students telling me how awesome her new school is. This is great news and I am SO glad my students are doing so well there. It just makes me miss the good ol' days. :)
On a happier note, we had an all warm and fuzzy moment at school today. I have been using the four principles of the FISH! Philosophy in my classroom. They are Play, Be There, Choose Your Attitude, and Make Their Day. It is great because the "principles" are simple enough that the kids already get it without a lot of explanation. My class is loving it and they are using the "language" all day long. It's really kind of cute. Anyway, I told them this morning that today was FISH Friday and we were going to have a special "Campfire Time" this afternoon.
So, right before recess once we were all packed up to go home, I summoned everyone to the campfire (sadly there isn't a campfire in sight). I asked the kids to think back on this week and share with us either something they loved about school so far, or, an example of someone making their day. Immediately hands shot up. The majority was just loving everything about school and they were sad that it was Friday and we weren't coming to school on Monday. Then a girl raised her hand and shared about how another girl made her day by asking her to play on her volleyball team. Then a boy shared that it made his day that another boy played some emperor something or other game with him at recess. Then a new boy to the school shared that everyone made his day by being his friend. It went on and on for several minutes. I was amazed. I even think I heard some kind of nice music playing in the background. They get it more than I ever could have imagined. I can't wait to hear what they have to say next week!!
Friday, August 31, 2007
1 down, 35 to go
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment