Monday, August 13, 2007

fam-i-ly

20 Years Ago~Gotta Love the 80s

Most people love their family, but how many are blessed enough to really, really, like their family. I am proud to say that I stand with the latter group. I love my family and would do anything for them, but I also really, really, like them. We have been through lots of stuff, but thankfully, we have been through that stuff together. If I had to describe my family in one word it would have to be...constant. They see me at my best and my very worst and the fact that they love me, some days inspite of me, is amazing. Allow me to introduce them to you:

My Dad is the hardest working person I know. He has always done whatever is necessary to give the family not only what we needed, but as much as he could, what we wanted. He is patient, kind, smart, creative, and very outgoing. He is a godly man that shows us all with his actions what it means to follow Christ. He is very wise and in retrospect, I wish I had listened to him more. I don't consider him "old" at all, but, there is some speculation that Mexico still had control of Texas when he was in first and second grade. :)

My Mom, to me, is a good hug. It just feels good to be around her. She also has worked very hard to provide for our family. I don't think I was ever more proud than the day she graduated from nursing school. How she managed being a mother and full-time student at the same time is still a mystery, but she did it with flying colors. If anyone of us has a question, we usually start with Mom. I remember my brother telling me at a very young age that "mom knows everything." She has never led me to believe otherwise.

My brother, Josh, is simultaneously the smartest and luckiest person I know. How's this for smart and lucky; he somehow turned a broken kitty litter box he found by a dumpster into a couple hundred dollars on Ebay. He also ranks very high on my funniest list. He graduated from SMU with a music degree and then went to UT Law School. It is nice to be able to threaten to call my lawyer and really know I have someone to call. If something is made out of wood or could be, he will make it rather than buy it. While I am in no way admitting guilt, he remains to this day the only person I have "pushed through a wall."

Josh brought Kelley into our lives a little over five years ago and because of them I get to spoil and love on two of the cutest kids ever. Kelley is also very smart and extremely crafty. She graduated from UT with an education degree and continues to be a source of great classroom ideas.

My sister, Ashleigh, is well, amazing. She is the most self-less person I know. I don't think there is anything that Ashleigh wouldn't do for somebody she cares about. She is artistic/crafty in a way that makes me really jealous. Ashleigh is a firm believer in family traditions and if we ever even just thought about doing something one Christmas, it is now a tradition. :) She went to Baylor too, so that makes me like her a lot. I believe we are up 2-0 in the Estes Bowl (the name we have given Baylor vs. SMU games). She is about to start her first year of teaching and I know she is going to be the best first-year-teacher there ever was. She is also right up there with Josh on the funny list.

My absolute favorite thing about my family is our ability to laugh. It is like we have some uspoken rule that when we are together our number one priority is to make each other laugh really, really, hard. My stomach is usually sore after an evening together. We are goofy but we are real. I really, really like my family. Not even just most days, but everyday.

5 Years Ago

1 comment:

Ed Estes said...

Hi Emily,
You wrote such nice stuff about everyone in your life. I wanted to write something nice about you.

I admire how much you love all the people in your life. I know you teach because you love kids and you want to make a difference. You do it well and that is why the kids and their parents appreciate you so much.

Love, DAD