Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Can they stay up until next year?

I thought that I really enjoyed putting Christmas lights up on my house. I was so proud of myself last year and have no recollection of it being a tiring, frustrating, or really cold experience. This year, however, has left me wondering what people would say about me if I left my Christmas lights up all year long.

I officially started decorating on Sunday. It was about 41 degrees, there was a light breeze, and some occasional rain. It was probably the worst time to put up lights ever, but for some reason, I really wanted to get it done. Today it warmed up to at least the low 60s so I thought this afternoon would be the perfect time to finish the job.

I started putting up the lights and really was hating the way they looked so I stopped and decided to switch the type of light. The only problem was, in order to get the lights to line up straight I was going to need to be much closer, and, I don't own a ladder. I did what any problem-solver would do, I decided to climb out of a second-story window onto the roof. I called my sister so someone would know what I was doing, just in case, then I did it. I have never, ever, been on a roof before so it was kind of exciting and totally terrifying all at the same time.

My sister came by a little while later to make sure I wasn't splattered on the ground. Thanks Ashleigh! She also took some pictures, because well, it's probably never going to happen again.

This is me, just chillin' on the roof-

This one looks like I'm about to fall off -

Here's a couple things I learned from climbing on the roof:
  • Don't wear wind pants, they don't have any traction
  • Make sure you have everything you need from down below before you go up
  • Daylight is probably a good thing
  • It might be a good idea to have someone there just in case you do fall or need something

Don't come look at my lights yet, I'm not quite finished. Think Chevy Chase's "Christmas Vacation," with class. :)

4 comments:

leiGh said...

this is funny...you are braver than me :D You will NEVER catch me up on the roof...next year just call James and he will bring you our ladder...anytime my friend...anytime :D

Shellee said...

girl...I'm wishing I could have seen you get from the roof BACK THROUGH the window!! You are my new hero!

Anonymous said...

haha...the reason the second picture LOOKS like you were about to fall off is because you WERE about to fall off.

Emily said...

I was not about to fall off! I totally knew what I was doing! :)