We had a little excitement today at Camp Learnalot. I was right in the middle of teaching Social Studies to one of my classes. I was very passionately convincing my students that they too could leave an impact on the world like Christopher Columbus. And maybe, just maybe 500 years from now kids would be reading about them in a history book. It really blows their minds to know that Columbus discovered North America by mistake!! So, anyway I'm teaching this truly life-changing lesson and we begin to hear bells out in the hallway, and they kept getting louder and louder. We seriously thought Santa had come a few weeks early. My door is thrown open and the bell-ringing people pile into my classroom. These aren't the kind of people that you normally have in your classroom; the Superintendent, school board members, important business people, the Principal, Assistant Principal. To say that I was a little nervous and shaking a little bit would be an understatement, hopefully I covered it well. They were there to tell me that I was receiving a grant that I applied for about a month ago. They had balloons, bells, and a very big check. It was pretty cool, the kids all thought I'd won millions for my own personal use and maybe even a car to go along with it. In reality, it was $283.65 to spend on a new Science project.
My friend Shellee came to school to eat lunch with her daughter Abbee today, and she (who is in a class right next door) convinced Shellee that the Publisher's Clearing House people came to school to give me a bunch of money. It was pretty funny. While this money means that I've created a bit more work for myself, it made for a very exciting day. Even if Ed McMahon and the Publisher's Clearing House people had shown up with a check for Ten Million Dollars, after taxes I probably would have ended up with about $283.65. So really it's just as great!
Tuesday, November 13, 2007
It could've been Ed McMahon
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Yay for you!!
I'll be looking for your pic in the paper with your ginormous check!!
is that how you spell ginormous??
You are quite the multi-tasker!! I just looked it up, that is how you spell ginormous! I guess it really is a word.
Post a Comment